Sunday, November 21, 2010

a statement

There is one thing that upsets me when trying to create my own work and that is other work. I don’t like seeing other work related to the subject and medium that I am going to work in because I don’t want to be influenced in any way. I like to be able to create my own ideas and use no other references in my work. When I start a project I try not to look at other artist or get influenced by other work around me. My instructors always ask me what artist I like or am influenced by and I always respond none because I don’t look at an artist for ideas. I want to find what is natural for me to create and not steal from another artist. I think the thousands of video feeds I have seen over the years can influence my work in this class, but I will not deliberately research any videos to create a project. I want my work to be a complete fabrication of my own life experiences and personal preferences. I want my work to be an expression of myself and to appeal to my taste. I will not change my ideas to please an instructor or other artist because it’s does not matter to me their opinion. Now I will try and make my work better by changing minor details and use suggestions to help portray my idea better but won’t change a concept for anyone else.