Monday, May 9, 2011

Emily's statement

As a photographer I strive to tell a narrative in a physically compelling way. As a video artist I use my foundation of photography and give the concept a new platform. I am also developing my software skills so that I may be able to convey my artistic concepts with the appropriate medium and in a resonating way.

In my current project I chose to focus on giving a voice to people who have been through adversity and have found a positive outlet or means of coping. I am using still portrait and documentary photography as well as audio recording of the subjects speaking to create an interactive DVD project. I am interested in using technology and art to display each narrative in a non-linear way and to link the real life stories in order to show a common thread of hardship and hope between humans.

I enjoy using humans as my main subjects, but I do not forget to utilize their environment. Whether it is a model or a person off the street, I believe that both my photography and video work display formal characteristics like composition, consideration of color, and the use of space.

I very much enjoy the relationship between artist and subject. I seek for the opportunity to get to know their story, or in a staged situation, it is intriguing to create the subject’s story.  This is important to me because I believe that the value of life is found in relationships. I would love to harness this value of life to influence and inspire others. We are shaped by the relationships, big or small, positive or negative, in our lives. My practice allows me to personally grow through my relationship with the subject and enables the viewer to be influenced by their relationship with the subject as well. It excites me to join together what I love to practice and what I value most in life.